Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member

Need 480 ruger loading advice

Just got an 16.25" 480 Ruger TC Encore barrel. So far I have just shot factory Hornady ammo. Looking to do some loading for it. Just wondering if anyone has loaded heavy bullets for it, 400 grains? Anyone loading cast bullets for it, what weight? What is your go to powder?

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muforester View Post
    Just got an 16.25" 480 Ruger TC Encore barrel. So far I have just shot factory Hornady ammo. Looking to do some loading for it. Just wondering if anyone has loaded heavy bullets for it, 400 grains? Anyone loading cast bullets for it, what weight? What is your go to powder?
    I have a 20” lever action rifle in 480 Ruger. I load 400gr hornady XTP, and 410gr wfn cast performance gas checked hard cast lead bullets. Lil’ Gun has been the best powder for both out of my rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    480 lever gun, where did you find that? I would love to have one. Do you know what twist your barrel is?

Title
    Premium Member
    480 lever gun, where did you find that? I would love to have one. Do you know what twist your barrel is?
    No idea what twist it is. It is a puma92, they got bought by Rossi, and now don’t offer the 454 or 480 anymore. I’m sure there are some used or old stock floating around.

Title
    Premium Member
    Where did you find the 410 grain cast bullets?

Title
    Premium Member
    Where did you find the 410 grain cast bullets?
    Cast Performance makes them. I used to buy them at Cabelas, but I don’t think they carry them anymore. Midway has them tho.

Title
    Premium Member
    Might want to check with Missouri Bullet Company. They have a ton of stuff. Just checked GB, they only have a 454 Casull and a 45LC version of that lever action. A 480 Ruger one would be sweet.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ledslnger View Post
    Might want to check with Missouri Bullet Company. They have a ton of stuff. Just checked GB, they only have a 454 Casull and a 45LC version of that lever action. A 480 Ruger one would be sweet.
    MO bullet company has some 340 grain bullets, but no 400 or 410. Right now I am shooting Hornady factory ammo. I have some 325 grain speer bullets I am going to load.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    You could try calling MBC. My buddy just placed a custom order with them. He asked me if I needed something so I had him grab me some generic stuff. He is having some stuff sized to his spec for an old SAA. They might have a mold for it but haven't ran anything for a while.

Title
    Premium Member
    I ordered some of these last night from Midway.Screenshot_20180919-103134_Chrome.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk